Invoices are normally entered in batches into the system through the Online Module, where they may be updated to the Accounts Payable Master file in real-time. Batching of invoices ensures that all items are entered and balanced.
Invoices are entered on a number of different screens, depending on the type of invoice. In many cases, a single screen is sufficient to add all line items on the invoice. If additional line items are needed, then they are added after the first screen has been edited and accepted.
All invoices are fully validated to ensure that:<
- no essential fields are missing
- values are within ranges
- the vendor is valid on the Vendor Master file
- various codes are valid on the Table Master file
- account distribution information is valid on the GL chart-of-accounts file
- if it is a manual check, that the check number entered is previously unused
- a duplicate invoice has not been entered previously
- if purchase order-related, a valid purchase order is on file and the quantities and prices are within matching tolerances; the invoice updates the Purchase Order Master file and the Distribution Master file and will be added to the Accounts Payable Master file
- if there are matching errors, the invoice will only update the Accounts Payable Master file and will not be available for any type of processing until corrected
- if using Project Accounting, a project-related invoice has been authorized
When editing is complete, invoices are balanced. The line item amounts are totaled and compared against the gross amount on the header and the detail distribution amounts are totaled and matched to their associated line amounts. If no edit or matching errors occur, the records are then added to the Accounts Payable master file and the accounts payable information is updated on the Purchase Order Master file, if PO related. Other associated files, such as the Used Invoice Master, Distribution Master, Receiver Master, Project Accounting and the Check Master, are updated as appropriate. Finally, the transactions are marked applied on the Detail file. If the invoice is in error, updating does not occur; but the transactions can be saved on the Detail file for later resolution. In some cases, the records may be added to the Accounts Payable master file in an unmatched status, but associated files are not updated until the matching error is resolved.
Report transactions are routed to a report splitter job that prints edit reports at the proper print location. Optionally, the Log file is processed to produce interface transactions to a cost accounting system (with variance data).