Purchase orders are normally entered into the system through the Online Module, where they may be updated to the Purchase Order Master file in real-time. Batching of purchase orders is optional.
Purchase orders may be entered on various screens. Some screens allow quick entry of multiple lines with single distribution. Others allow quick entry of multiple distribution lists. If purchase order items contain text, other screens are available for text entry.
All purchase orders are fully validated to ensure that:
- no essential fields are missing
- values are within ranges
- the vendor is valid on the Vendor Master file
- various codes are valid on the Table Master file
- account distribution information is valid on the general ledger chart-of-accounts file
- the purchase order has not already been set up
- a project-related purchase order has been authorized (if using the Project Accounting System)
When editing has been completed, purchase orders are balanced; both line quantities to their header quantity and detail distributions to their associated line are balanced. The purchase order is updated on the Purchase Order Master file when using real-time and is also updated on the Detail file, Item Master file and Distribution Master file. If the purchase order is found to be in error, it can be saved on the Detail file in an error condition for later resolution.
Report transactions are routed to a report splitter job that prints edit reports and purchase order documents at the proper print location.
Optionally, the Log file is processed to produce interface transactions to an inventory system.